School Supply List
Wellesley resident, Elizabeth Fulham, created an environmentally friendly back to school list.
- PAPER – chlorine free products made from 100% post-consumer recycled paper. For example, Roaring Springs makes plain Index cards from recycled paper. This includes paper towels and tissues in the classroom to help reduce the need for virgin wood pulp = more trees are left standing and fewer resources are needed to make them.
- PENCILS – Papermate’s EarthWrite pencils are made from recycled cedar wood.
- CRAYONS – Clementine Art Natural Crayons are made from natural soy vs. paraffin wax (petroleum).
- RULER – Kleeen Earth makes a 12″ ruler from 70% post-consumer recycled plastic.
- SCISSORS – Fiskars uses 100% post-consumer recycled plastic for the handles of their scissors (see the pattern).
- PENS – Papermate makes biodegradable pens, available in 4 colors.
- BINDERS – Try binders made from recycled computer circuit boards and recycled rubber, or binders made from 45 to 100% post-consumer waste plastic, as well as recycled cardboard.
- BACKPACK – Try to repair, or renew backpacks (think patches, fabric markers, etc) first. If that doesn’t work try Terracycle’s backpack from recycled materials, Ecogear backpacks made from recycled water bottles, backpacks made from other recycled materials, organic cotton or consider making your own out of an old jacket.
- LUNCH/SNACK BAGS/CONTAINERS – Try reusable containers (or laptop lunches, bento boxes, Wrap-N-Mats).
- RUBBERBANDS – Alliance makes biodegradable rubberbands.
- Consider the packing you buy – look for bottles that contain 90% post-consumer recycled plastic
- Buying in bulk or using reusable containers cuts down on the plastic needed.