Every year, the Rotary Club of Wellesley purchases and bags 500 tree saplings for distribution to Wellesley fourth graders. Susy Jordon, Wellesley Town Horticultural technician, usually hands out the bagged saplings for to Wellesley fourth graders for planting. She also teaches a lesson on Arbor Day conservation while handing out the trees.
Then came COVID-19 after they had ordered and the seedlings had shipped.
With 500 tree saplings, and no way to bag and distribute them as they normally do, the Rotary Club is announcing the great persimmon tree give-away!
The DPW and the Rotary Club have placed the seedlings in the buckets wearing gloves and masks. Please pick the seedlings carefully and do not rummage through the bucket.
Please join in helping to plant Persimmon seedlings around town.
The four pick up locations are:
1. By the gate to enter Morse’s Pond, under the trail sign.
2. By the parking lot at Longfellow Pond
3. By the Sign for the Kelly Memorial conservation area on Elmwood Road
4. On Fuller Brook Trail, near the bridge behind the Hunnewell School
5. By the parking lot in Centennial Park.
Learn more about the tree and planting it here on the Rotary Club website. Thank you Rotary Club and DPW!